Touch of Grey will, well, touch upon the rainbow that is life. Good music, good times, and good friends combine to make all the splendid colors. Touch of Grey will celebrate this beautiful rainbow.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The One. The Only.

How do you fill a giant's shoes?

You don't.

It's funny how such a challenging day can instantly become so rewarding. Mere moments after I got home this evening, an unexpected treat greeted me: On the Ovation channel was a Johnny Cash concert at the 1994 Montreux Jazz Festival. And immediately, my day was worth everything I had been through.

I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when he died. Even though he had been in bad health for some time, it hit me (and so many others) like a ton of bricks. I was brokenhearted. Thank goodness he left a legacy of music behind. His songs wove through my life like a silken, deep-voiced thread. I am fairly convinced that if there exists a God, this is his voice. Johnny's pure, honest, booming voice has no equal.

I will let the man's music speak for itself. Here are some of my favorites. They will never be duplicated. Johnny Cash was a giant. And there will be nobody to fill his shoes, ever.

One word of advice: if you have yet to see his video for "Hurt", prepare yourself. It is powerful. This is a cover of a Nine Inch Nails tune. In my opinion, it is the best video EVER made. I mean EVER. Recorded shortly before his death, it is the Johnny you never knew. And it is the Johnny you always knew. It is honestly heartbreaking, and heartbreakingly honest. And you will never forget it.














No comments: